I love this time if year SO much. For many many reasons, but mostly because Christmas means service, music, and family. This month I've had several small instances happen to me that made me reflect and be thankful.
I got to play the part of Mary for relief society in my ward. I had a big speaking part and sang a song. I sang Mary's Lullaby and since I've had Carter I can't hear or sing that song without crying. I just think of all the feelings Mary must have felt holding her new baby.
My mother in law asked me to play my violin for the ladies in the nursing home where Don's grandma lives. She's in rough shape and we were hoping it might spark a little something in her. I can't believe how something so easy and simple for me to do can create so much joy in other people's lives. I played my usual Christmas repertoire and some of them sang along. One lady cried the entire time! She said her dad used to play while she sang growing up. I know all those women in the nursing home have bad days and sometimes are miserable. I feel so blessed to be a part of something that made them happy.
The last month has been pretty hard with Don being gone all the time with work and basketball. Some days have been very long (for both of us) and my patience has run thin with Carter a few times. I was in a bad mood one night on my way to the gym to blow off some steam when I saw a homeless man on the side of the road. It was really cold that night. He looked rough and filthy as he was digging through a trash can. At that moment I knew I needed to thank Heavenly Father for everything that I have.
Also with Don being gone, it has made me miss him a lot. It has made me notice the little things I love and appreciate about him because I would miss those things if he were gone! I'm so glad I married him. I also love that he gets into Christmas, decorating, and presents as much as I do!
Carter got the chicken pox about a week ago. The chicken pox is uncommon now so I have no idea how he got it. Thankfully it was mild and Carter was a great trooper, but it did force us to be home for several days. I thought I was going to go insane. It made me grateful for my family's health. I'm so glad I don't normally have a sickly child.
Also this pregnancy has brought a few more aches and pains than the last one. I was talking to my friend who can't have children. I jokingly asked, "Wanna trade bodies for a day?" She replied, "Yes!!!" At that moment I felt a little ashamed of myself for being ungrateful for my body. Pregnancy sucks. It's painful and leaves you scarred and feeling ugly, but I'm so grateful I get to bear children and feel that little miracle kicking inside me!
I think Heavenly Father tries to teach us small lessons like this all the time if we stop and listen.


2 comments:
You're such a sweet and sensitive person. Don't change. Love you!
It sounds like you felt the true meaning of Christmas this week. I love that you went to a nursing home and played the violin. I remember going to one as a kid and playing checkers with one of the seniors. It really does brighten their day!
Enjoy this Christmas with Carter. It sounds like he's going to have a lot of fun!
Post a Comment