Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Carter Man

My one on one time with Carter is coming to an end. Pretty soon his world his going to turn upside down. My guess is that he'll be a very loving big brother, but he won't like him stealing time from his mama. After all, he is a mama's boy. As I've been getting stuff ready for our new little man it's hit me how soon he's coming! I have forgotten how hard babies are. The thought of juggling a newborn and a toddler is a little scary to me right now, but at least I know more what to do this time around. When I think of holding this new baby and smelling him I think of how much I instantly fell in love with Carter and it makes me feel at ease. 
I have really enjoyed these last two and a half years with Carter being my extra limb. He is my best friend. We literally spend every waking minute together. It was a hard adjustment at first, but now I can't imagine life being any other way.
Carter has grown up so much in just these last few months. He's a goofball! 
He is talking so much more. He knows some of his letters and numbers. He attempts to sing his ABC's. He knows his colors and shapes. He repeats everything I say at least 5 times. He constantly says new words and it always catches me off guard like did you say what I think you just said? Most words he speaks clearly, others he'll say one syllable. For example, for the word triangle he just says the "gle" part. Carter is also very polite. He always says please, thank you, and you're welcome. And whenever he hands me something he says, "Here you go!" I think his favorite word is "Yay." When I ask him if he wants to do anything even if it's just watching a show he says, "Yay!" with such enthusiasm as if everything we do is so exciting! I love it. That high pitched voice tugs at my heart strings. 


Hugging his brother already 

For the most part Carter's a quiet kid (unless he's around his cousins). He's not demanding. He's not rough. He's genuinely a sweet, easy going kid. When a bigger kid bullies him he just frowns at them and continues doing his thing. I love watching Carter play with his toys. He has quite an imagination! I don't know what those cars are doing, but it must be pretty crazy because of Carter's sound effects. Carter plays by himself very well, but he also plays with other kids well too. He LOVES his cousins. He especially loves to tackle them. 
Carter is a picky eater. His staples are juice, milk, cereal, yogurt, and applesauce. Everything else he goes through phases. He'll like something one day and not the next. It is so frustrating, but luckily this stage won't last forever right? He's also big on texture. Food and the touch of texture. Awhile back on a rainy day I made some oobleck for him to play with. He looked at it and wouldn't touch it. So I grabbed his hands and put them in the bowl of goo and he started dry heaving!! I laughed so hard! I've never seen a little kid dry heave before! 


Helping me bring in groceries. One banana at a time!

Carter has learned to be a tease. When I want to change his diaper he grins at me and books it! He's getting super fast too! It's hard for me to catch him especially now that I'm big and pregnant. He's also an excellent hider. He will hide somewhere and be completely silent. His grandma will ask for a kiss and he'll go in for the kiss with his lips puckered then the last second pull away and say "no" and smile. Little fart! Another stinker thing he does is when I put him down for a nap he'll play super quietly with his toys. I go in to check on him and more often than not he'll hurry get under the covers and close his eyes and pretend he's been sleeping, but too bad the pile of toys on his bed gives him away!


3 hours past his bed time. He was playing with his toys the whole time!

Right now Carter is into anything with wheels. Cars, trucks, wagons, buses, trains, and airplanes. He loves to put cars in little places and compartments. I find cars in the most random spots in our house. I giggle every time I find one. He loves to read stories. Bedtime is my favorite time with him. I cuddle with him in his bed and we read stories. His reactions to books are hilarious. He points at pictures and asks, "What is that?" And makes faces when exciting things happen. Sometimes I relax and sit on my bed and he'll come in, read me a story, tell me "night night," give me a kiss and close the door haha. Carter also loves movies. His favorites are Monsters University and Despicable Me 2. He loves to dance at the end of Despicable Me and since he's watched Monsters he growls at everyone. If he catches you asleep he will let out a huge roar and scare the crap out of you! 
Even though we're having a baby, Carter will always be my baby. I have really enjoyed our one on one time together, but I am so excited for him to have a brother! They are going to be so much fun. I love my boys! :) 





4 comments:

Jessie said...

Aww, I remember feeling exactly as you are now. Carter, I just want to squeeze you. You can come tackle your cousins here too. They like that. And instead of turning away from a kiss, Jed will just lick your face and laugh about it. Haha. Miss you guys! I want to come visit.

Unknown said...

Remember, love multiplies. You'll be surprised how much you love this new baby boy, too! We miss you guys! Carter is a sweet and special little boy--I'm looking forward to seeing you again and playing with Carter and the new baby!

Sopha said...

Carter really is a good kid. So nice and fun to be around. You guys have done great with that boy. Can't wait to see your new baby! I'm going to need to make a trip down just to meet him :)

Ashley Brickner said...

Congrats on baby 2, I'm sure big bro will do great!!!! Loved reading your posts & looking forward to following along!!

wordsaboutwaverly.blogspot.com