Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Deedee the Dog

Growing up we didn't really have pets let alone a dog. Don and I talked about getting puppies for forever and I was so excited when our friends were getting rid of theirs. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Up till about a few months ago Deedee was the worst dog ever. She was always real wormy around us probably because she got in trouble all the time. She chewed every cushion on our back porch patio set. She dug holes in every possible place along the fence. We would cover the holes and she would dig new holes then dig holes under our neighbor's fence so their dog would get out. Then she figured out she could jump the fence. She brought shoes and jackets off peoples doorsteps and chewed them up. We tied her up for awhile and she always managed to get tangled in the most ridiculous way or she would just chew the rope off. I thought, "What the heck did we do?! We got the stupidest dog ever!"





All of the sudden, she started getting better. I took her on walks and she'd stay by my side without a leash. She learned to play fetch and stop jumping on people. She is very protective of the kids. If another dog comes by them she'll attack it. She loves Jaxon and he loves her. They have a cute relationship. Jax always touches her face and she just licks him. We blow bubbles outside and she jumps up and bites them. It's hilarious. We took part of the fence down to get rid of the rocks in our backyard because we're going to plant grass. I thought for sure she would run away or get lost, but Deedee just hangs out at the house. She is a completely different dog and I absolutely love her.
Last week Deedee had puppies. They are so cute! Don had gotten home from work and my brother in law and in laws were over. Deedee had gotten in the house and she wouldn't budge. I put a blanket down just in case in her favorite spot in Jax's room and sure enough she had a puppy! Don hurried and grabbed the kiddie pool and put it on the porch and we put her in it. My sister in law and a few of my nieces and nephews came over for a visit to see the progress. We had a late night. When she had 7 puppies I thought she was done. I took one weak puppy inside for the night and woke up in the middle of the night to feed it formula in a medicine dropper. I thought I could help it, but the next day it wasn't making any progress. It couldn't suck and its body couldn't move. It was just too weak and I know it's nature and it just happens so I put him back with his mom. When I went to check on the puppies the next morning Deedee had had two more puppies! One was a good size, but it must have been in the birth canal too long and died. The weak one ended up dying the next day so now we have 7 puppies. We'll give them away when they're old enough and definitely get Deedee fixed after this! Having a dog has definitely been an adventure!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awww! So cute and precious seeing Carter and Jax with the puppies! I know Ryan would love a puppy--but I'm not sure I want the responsibility and work that comes with having a dog! You're a great mom to put up with all the "fun" for your boys!