Friday, April 17, 2015

Our Carter Scare


Carter getting a breathing treatment

The Thursday before Easter, Carter woke up and came to our room as he always does and laid in bed with us for awhile. He kept breathing weird. Don and I were getting annoyed telling him, "Carter. Breathe normal!" Yeah, parents of the year I tell ya. I went to Carter's Easter party at school with him which was so fun. He participates very well in class. They made bunny ears, counted and sorted jelly beans, had an egg hunt, lunch, and they got to pet rabbits and ducklings. It was so cute getting to see what he does at school. He acted just fine at school. Just a little tired. On the short walk from the preschool to the car in the parking lot Carter was wheezing and huffing and puffing. When I put him in his seat his face was pale and he immediately started falling asleep. I stayed pretty calm because he still could talk to me, but nothing is scarier than your child not being able to breathe! Don was home and I set him on Don and I called the doctor. Luckily, they were able to get him in immediately. Turns out his allergies triggered asthma. They said they won't know how bad it is for a few months. I'm assuming it will be acute since my mother in law and brother in law get it occasionally too. I just give him a breathing treatment when he needs it and carry an inhaler on me. I'm glad that's all it was. I don't know what people did before modern medicine!


Handsome Little Man

Gosh, Carter is so stinking cute. He is a little ray of sunshine. He is always happy and smiley! The kid is fearless too. I really don't know if he's afraid of anything. He'll wrestle and pillow fight with his older cousins and sometimes he gets slammed, but he doesn't cry! He just giggles and shakes it off. The helper lady on the bus for preschool asked me, "Is he always this happy? I've never seen him not smile!" 
Carter talks so much now. Preschool has been amazing for him. He comes home and tells me all sorts of things. I've been writing down funny things he has said:

When he needs to go to the bathroom he says, "Mom! I'm going pee!" 

When he's done peeing he says, "Shake shake shake!" He'll watch Don pee and tell him to shake shake shake too.

When he's hungry he'll grab his stomach and say, "It's hungry." His stomach has a mind of it's own ;)

We were telling Dad to come for family prayer and he said, "Come on Dad! You can do it!"

The other night he woke up in the middle of the night. He came out to the living room and I heard him say, "Oh my gosh! Where is everybody?!" Don's a night owl and he's usually up if Carter gets up. A couple minutes later I hear him say again louder this time, "Ohhhh my gosh! Where's Daddy?!!"

His new thing is to call me Lauren (Waurwen) and his dad, Don. This morning he asks, "Where's Don?" I say, "Your DAD is at work." He'll also say, "Oh my gosh, Don." (I must say that a lot haha!)

On Sunday, I subbed for the primary chorister. I did the opening song and when I sat down he yells, "Good job, Mom!"

Seriously. He's the funniest kid. He has Don and I laughing all day. I love this age. I never want him to grow up! Carter's favorite color is green. He's obsessed with trains, but is now getting into superheroes. He loves playing with his second cousin, Reddic. He loves to sing songs and read books. His favorite food is chicken nuggets and popsicles. 

We love you, Carter Man.




1 comment:

Jessie said...

I'm so glad preschool has been so good for Carter! Hooray! I can't wait to see him again and hear him talk. And glad that your scare was a minor thing. Whew! I think I would have turned white too!