Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Miss June Bug

Now that June is 6 weeks old I think it's about time to write her birth story! 

June was due Thursday, February 18th. I scheduled an induction for her due date a week before to make sure we were the first on the list. We got right in with Carter and Jaxon so we figured it would be the same. Don took work off. I called early Thursday morning and they told us they had no room at the hospital. All the rooms were full. They said they'd call me when a room opened up. I called again in the afternoon to bug them and they were still full and they promised they would call me. We didn't hear anything all day. So Friday morning I called in again. They were still full! We were getting really irritated. I decided to try some castor oil Friday because if I went into labor on my own then they'd HAVE to take me, right? We took the kids to the park and had some fun while I pooped till there was nothing left in my body! It did give me good consistent contractions for awhile. Then they just stopped. So we decided to call the hospital Saturday morning and if it was still full Don would go back to work. When I called Saturday morning they gave me the same rigamarole. I got a little ornery and said, "You've been telling me this for 2 days now." The nurse replied, "I'll call you by lunch time." Apparently, I just needed to get grouchy! Sure enough they called at noon and Don came home. We ate lunch and headed to the hospital. My mother in law met us there too. We were there right around 1 pm.


All day I had felt some contractions here and there and my body just felt different. When they checked me I was already at a 6 with consistent contractions! I had no idea! The nurse asked me if I wanted the cervix softener or to break my water. I went with the cervix softener to ease into it because I was planning on having a natural delivery.


Once the pill was in place Don and I walked around outside and walked around the OB department. We had races. We opened one door and tried to loop around as fast as we could before the door closed again. I was laughing so hard it hurt! I bounced on the yoga ball too. My contractions started getting really hard and I was practicing my breathing and trying to relax myself. I knew it was getting towards the end. I was having an inner war with myself between "I'm so sick of hurting" and "You got this, Lauren. You can do it." I asked Don and Carol what they thought of me getting an epidural. They reminded me how miserable it was with Carter, but the decision was ultimately up to me. It took me awhile to decide, but when the nurse came back in I told her I wanted one. It felt like forever till the anesthesiologist came in! I don't know what time this all happened, but I got the epidural and it wasn't fully working on one side. He made some adjustments and once that was done the nurse checked me and I was at a 10 ready to push! Talk about last minute! 
It was amazing being able to talk and relax before I pushed. Although my body was shaking with all the adrenaline in my body haha. I pushed through 2 contractions and she was out! Best birth ever! Don cut the cord and I immediately got to hold her. This was the first time I got teary eyed holding my new baby. It was such a relief finally having her here more so than my boys because it was the longest, most painful pregnancy and she was my girl I've been wanting for so long! There really is something special about her. 

June Isabelle Thompson
2/20/2016
Born at 8:41
8 lbs 2 oz
19 inches

















Carter was immediately in love with her. He was so sweet taking care of her at the hospital.


You forget how tiny they are!




Carter volunteered to come with Don help bring June home. He was so ready to have her home.


The sign my mother in law made.



4 days old


My napping buddies





Jaxon has struggled the most with the transition. It hasn't seemed to phase Carter at all. Jax was so excited to see me when I got home it made me feel so loved. I love these THREE (gah! can't believe I have that many!) kids with all my being! 



After her first bath

June is now over 10 lbs in the 70th percentile for height and weight. She eats like a champ and sleeps pretty much as expected. She has been my easiest baby. Going out places is definitely harder, but the transition to three kids has been a lot easier for me than the transition to two for some reason. I hope you always know how incredibly much you are loved, June bug! I'm so happy you're here.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

I'm so glad she's here too and that I got to see her in all her tiny glory! Love the story about you and Don running around the hospital. Ha!