Thursday, December 28, 2017

I Think I Can I Think I Can

I am done with chemo and surgery! 2/3 treatments check! My hair is growing back. For awhile there I felt very attractive. My hair started to grow back all wispy like an old man and I had no eyebrows or eyelashes. I have also gained 25 pounds since May. Not a good concoction for good self esteem. After chemo was over I immediately wanted to play! We went apple picking, went to the fair, I stayed out late with my friends, and we took our family camping. By the time we went camping I came down with a horrible cold that took me about a month to get over. It was so worth it!


June was always stealing my hats



A blanket my dad's friend made for me


I couldn't miss our annual apple picking trip! It was the last weekend to pick apples and there were hardly any left, but we were able to fill up a couple buckets and make some yummy applesauce and apple crunch.



After apple picking we took the kids to the fair when Don got off work. I was so unbelievably tired, but watching these two best friends get to ride rides together was priceless.


One of our fun girls nights playing laser tag. So much high pitched screaming in one little room. It was an absolute blast! I have always been blessed with incredible friends!


We were able to get the whole Thompson clan up on the mountain. We played games, horseshoes, ate marshmallows and talked around the camp fire. Unfortunately, Carol and I were both coming down with nasty colds so sleeping wasn't all that enjoyable, but all in all it was worth it.


Don reading June a book before bed in the tent


Oh how I love those eyes, cheeks, and little beaver teeth!

I was a little nervous I wasn't going to get over my cold in time for surgery, but alas I was able to kick it just in time. I had surgery plus immediate reconstruction and auxiliary lymph node dissection November 6th. I had 20 lymph nodes removed in my left armpit. Two of those lymph nodes had positive microscopic abnormalities. My mom came to help me out for two weeks after surgery. I sobbed when she left. My kids missed her too especially her inability to say no to popsicles! Not only was recovery extremely painful, but emotionally it was hard not being able to do things I normally do. At first it hurt to sit up or lay completely flat and I couldn't move my arms. I had a horrible nerve pain in my back for a few weeks. I cried on several occasions when I had to get up and sit back down. It was incredibly painful and it made me so angry and frustrated! Don gave me sponge baths and pulled down my pants so I could use the restroom because I couldn't do it by myself. I slept in our recliner for a month. I'm six weeks out now and I can finally hold my babies! I still hurt and my breasts and armpit are numb, but it's completely manageable. It's truly amazing what our bodies can go through and come back from.

I met with my gyno oncologist before surgery. I really liked him and he made me feel comfortable about the things I had been stressing over the last several months. He talked about my risk of ovarian cancer and early menopause with me. We decided to hold off on ovary removal until I'm 35. He said he wants to get the "sweet spot" age where I won't wait too long to risk getting cancer, but not too early since life expectancy after menopause is shorter. Even though there's not a very good screening for ovarian cancer I'll be doing whatever screenings are available every six months until my ovaries are removed. He stressed how important it is for me to eat healthy and exercise for the rest of my life. I think Heavenly Father blessed me with the gift of loving vegetables and exercise to prepare me for this.
At the end of October I had a bunch of family and friends come visit for my Love for Lauren 5k. One of my friends in our ward put it together. She is also a breast cancer survivor. It's humbling to watch your community, family and friends come together for your behalf. My friends, aunt, uncle, cousins, dad, stepmom, stepsister, my sister and nephew made a special trip just for this event. I know I say it a lot, but I'm surrounded by the most incredible support system!
I got to have a lot of one on one time with my sister when she was here. There's nothing like sister time! I really wish we all didn't live so far away from each other. I loved having everyone here! It was hard when they left. Everyone came to the 5k, we went out to eat and had sundaes at my cousin's house. My dad and stepmom always spoil the kids when they come. Carter got to spend some time with my dad swimming and hanging out at the hotel while I snuck in a nap. It really was so nice to have a fun weekend with family before more suckiness ensued.


My sister took some amazing photos while she was here. I hated having my picture taken, but I'm so glad she took them. I will cherish these photos forever.


June, Conrad, and Jax swinging at the park


Jessie played a ball game with Carter







These three got to go for a wagon ride through the fun run. June loved "baby Conrad" and he loved hanging on her for balance to walk. They were little buddies this trip.





I watched Dad play with Jax on the tramp from the window for a long time before we headed out back to join them. I cherish these memories being made between my parents and their grandkids.




Carter skipping across the finish line. I was so proud of Carter! Don said he ran for 2 miles before he had to take a break. How many 6 year olds can run 3 miles? I was so impressed.




The kids were minions for Halloween. I spent so much time making June's crazy haired purple minion beanie and she refused to wear it. Shortly after this photo we ran to my sister in law's and sprayed June's hair purple and teased it to stand it up. They all made perfect minions! But I decided homemade costumes are overrated. We had so much fun going to a trunk or treat and going on our hay ride to the best houses in town. The night was finished off with the family contributing to a dinner of soup and rolls.


A few days before I had surgery my good friend, Tamra called me up for a girls night. We had the BEST time! We got all the neighbors' old pumpkins, took them out to the hills and shot them with a semi-auto rifle. We had pizza and when it was dark we made glow in the dark golf balls and hit them as hard as we could. We ended up taking the golf clubs and finished smashing the pumpkins. So much aggression was released that night! Haha. We then saw a bunch of foxes get close. We got spooked and booked it out of there so fast! It certainly was a night to remember. 


1 comment:

Jessie said...

Yes!!! You have THE BEST GIRLFRIENDS ever! Why don't my girls' nights look like that? Something needs to change. So happy you have such fun friends though.

And that picture of Don reading to June was melt me material.

Lastly, yes, I knew you didn't like having your picture taken but you are SUCH an incredible mama. Those kids will cherish photos of you in them.