Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Smith Family Reunion 2013

This year was the 17th annual Smith Reunion. Deciding to have a reunion every year was the best decision my grandparents could have made. I love being so close with my family. This year was a little different. Grandpa Smith is in pretty rough shape. He has Alzheimer's and unfortunately had a bad fall which made him unable to walk. My grandma came and visited us though. She was so "tickled" (grandma's words) to see all of us. I am so lucky to be descendants of these great people. 
Thursday Carter and I flew from Phoenix to Salt Lake. It was Carter's first time having his own seat on the plane. His eyes lit up when we stepped on the plane. As soon as we took off he fell asleep. It was blissful. 


My sister in law, Ruth, picked us up and we spent the night with her and played with her girls. It was a short, but sweet visit! I always get a kick out of her girls. Ava, the youngest who is only 2 weeks younger than Carter couldn't quite understand what my name was. We asked her, "Can you say Lauren?" And she said, "Corn!" Now I have a new awesome nickname!


Friday I met up with the family and we drove through the canyon to Heber Valley Girls Camp. I'm not quite sure you can call it camping when you have gas, hot water, and flushing toilets, but it was great! We went canoeing and played beach volleyball Friday. Beach volleyball was very entertaining with my family! We have our own set of rules. Later we had burgers and smores by the fire. And of course grandma brought out her papers she wanted us to read. This time Grandma stressed about being intimate with our family members :) It became the fun theme for our reunion. That and the discussion of how Smith family feet are very good looking. 


Carter stuffing his face


Brother in law, Bron and nephew, Levi. Grandma devouring a s'more 


Cousins Devin and Emily


Michael and Ryan the troublemakers :)


My brother Joey and Grandma passing out her papers


The best part of the trip was sitting around the campfire talking and laughing.


 We stayed in cabins that night that sleep about 16 people per cabin. No one got good sleep that night. Carter cried almost every 15 minutes. Good thing it was only one night! 
Saturday my sister and her family, my brother, and Carter and I went on a little hike. The elevation just about killed me! luckily I had Bron and Joe to help me carry Carter on the way up. 


My sister, brother, and I


Joey holding Levi. Giving him good practice for his future children :)


Later, we did a couple rope courses and working together activities. We also did a zip line. My mom was by far the funniest and I got it all on video! She was shaking like a leaf! We all got a good laugh. Love you, mom!


We had to help each other go through rope loops without touching the ropes


Getting ready to do the zip line


My dear mom


Zip line


Joey and my aunt Mari


My mom and brother were tied together and had to try to get out using teamwork


Aunt Becky and Emma giving a lesson about putting people on pedistools

Saturday afternoon we made a short drive to Park City to where we stayed a couple years ago at a reunion called The Homestead. We went swimming, ate chili and celebrated my nephew, Levi's first birthday! We stayed the night and everyone left in the morning. It was so fun seeing my fun, crazy and slightly dysfunctional family! 

1 comment:

Jessie said...

I like the last line: fun, crazy, and slightly dysfunctional. :) hehe Good times for sure.