Monday, January 6, 2014

A Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

My blogging has been neglected due to the busy holidays. Before Christmas I deep cleaned my house before my mom came and I also wanted it deep cleaned before the baby comes. I cleaned stuff that normally gets cleaned maybe once a year (like scrubbing walls and baseboards) that only I would notice, but that's okay! I'm glad it's done! 
My mom, step dad, and little brothers came down from Idaho for Christmas this year. It was so nice to have them here! They went to my cousin's wedding in Mesa the Saturday before Christmas then came here that evening. Carter was constantly entertained by Michael and Ryan. I really enjoyed having mom's cooking and someone to help clean up after meals! It meant a lot to me to get that little break from the normal routine. We watched movies, played a little basketball at the school gym, played board games, and stuffed our faces all week!


Carter LOVED helping me make sugar cookies! It takes a lot of concentration ;)


Carter and Michael playing


Playing a mean game of horse

Monday night Don's family held their annual Christmas family party. We went for a hay ride to go see all the lights and sing songs, ate pizza, and acted out the nativity. We always have a lot of fun at the party.
Christmas Eve my mom and I made a huge dinner. I ate so much that I ended up puking three times that night!! The baby didn't appreciate my binge eating haha. How embarrassing! The Christmas Eve elf came to our door and left a special package full of Christmas pajamas for our family. Don and I had fun wrapping all of Carter's presents anticipating his excitement Christmas morning.


Acting out the nativity


Christmas Eve elf package


Don helping Carter put baby Jesus in the manger on our advent calendar 

Carter was so cute when he woke up and saw his stocking full of toys! It's painful to watch him slowly rip off tiny pieces of wrapping paper one at a time, but he was so proud of himself! He would congratulate himself by saying, "Yay!" when he ripped off each piece. After the first couple presents he wasn't too interested in opening any more because he was having so much fun playing with new toys!
We had a wonderful Christmas and I got teary eyed when my family left Thursday morning. I loved having them here! 





This is a normal family picture for us haha


Anyone who knows Don knows he's a blue Mountain Dew man. I'm pretty much the best wife ever.

We had an interesting New Years. We were going to have my brother and sister in law come over to eat snacks and play games. New Years Eve night we were almost to the store to pick up some snacks when I called my sister in law to see if she needed anything. She had told me Don's parents got a call from the nursing home and were headed up to see his Granny. I told Don it must be pretty serious since they were going so late. He suggested we go too and I'm so glad we went. The girls who work at the nursing home told us Granny would be passing away either that night or the next day. They know the signs and could just tell. We all got teary eyed when we first saw her. She hasn't been able to talk for some time. She hasn't been able to move by herself and sometimes we don't know if she recognizes us, but that night we knew she recognized all of us. Her breathing was very heavy and we just sat next to her and held her hand for awhile. It was a very peaceful experience. Carter wasn't feeling good so we needed to go, but Carter gave Granny his usual kisses and hugs. I got to say my goodbyes and my eyes welled up with tears when Don told his Granny, "I love you. We'll see you later." Don's parents called all of the family and between that night and New Years Day she got to see everyone. She passed away in the early evening New Years and when we got the call we couldn't be sad for her. We are nothing but happy for her. She has more people on the other side than she does here on earth. She finally gets to see her husband and her dad who died when she was 9. I'm so grateful for the knowledge I have that there's life after death and that families can be together forever.
We did end up having my sister in law and her kids over New Year's Eve. Carter had a slight fever and was awake anyway so I just cuddled him on the couch and ended up sleeping with him. Turned out Carter's ear drum burst the next morning. I've never had to deal with an ear infection so I had no idea that's what was bothering him. Poor kid. 
Today was our first day with our new class in Primary. We are now teaching the 8 and 9 year olds. I can tell our class is going to be fun. We've been in primary for 2 years and I love it! I am always so blown away with all their knowledge. I've come to love each and every one of the kids we've had. The theme this year is families can be together forever and our first lesson was on the plan of salvation... I thought the timing of everything was pretty neat.
Since we have a new theme in Primary the presidency asked if I would make a big temple for spotlights. Each week a kid is spotlighted and get to share interesting things about themselves. They'll get to put a little picture of themselves on the temple grounds. It was a daunting task to get that huge temple done, but when they showed the kids today their reactions made it all worth it. 


So now that's done, maybe after the funeral we'll be able to relax a little bit before the baby comes next month?

2 comments:

Jessie said...

What a sweet experience you got to have with Don's granny. So special. I'm sure the funeral will be emotional and awesome all rolled into one.
Merry Christmas! We sooo gotta talk soon.

Unknown said...

We miss you all, already! It was so wonderful to spend Christmas with you. You always have such a great Christmas spirit about you. I'm glad you got to say good-bye to Don's granny, what a neat experience. She's probably up there getting ready to send your new baby off to you. We love you!